The Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of the BMW AG established in 1998 after BMW was licensed the rights to the Rolls-Royce Company brand name and logo from Rolls-Royce PLC and acquired the rights to Spirit of Ecstasy and the Rolls-Royce grill shape trademarks from the Volkswagen AG. Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Limited Company operates from purpose built administrative and the production facilities opened in 2003 across from the historic Goowood Circuit in Goodwood, West Sussex, and England. Rolls-Royce Motors is the special manufacturer of Rolls-Royce branded motor cars since 2003.
Rolls-Royce company Phantom 4-door sedan was the 1st product offered for the sale in 2003. Since then, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Company has expanded its product line to include an extended wheelbase version of the Phantom sedan, a Phantom 2-door coupé and the Phantom convertible version and the less expensive Ghost 4-door sedan and Wraith 2-door coupé.
Bentley Motors Ltd subsidiary of the Volkswagen AG is direct successor to Rolls-Royce Motors Company and various other predecessor entities that produced Rolls-Royce group and Bentley branded cars between the foundation of each corporation and 2003, when the BMW-controlled entity started producing cars under the Rolls-Royce Company.
A stipulation in ownership documents of Rolls-Royce Company dictated that Rolls-Royce plc, the aero-engine the maker would retain certain essential the trademarks, including the Rolls-Royce Company name and logo if the automotive division was sold.
In 1884 the Henry Royce started an electrical and mechanical big business. He made his first car, a two-cylinder Royce 10, in his Manchester the factory in 1904, and was introduced to the Charles Rolls at Midland Hotel, the Manchester on 4 May of that year. Rolls were proprietor of an early the motor car dealership, C.S.Rolls & Co. in the Fulham.
In spite of his preference for 3 or 4 cylinder cars, the Rolls was impressed with the Royce 10, and in a subsequent agreement of 23 Dec 1904 agreed to take all cars Royce could make.
Leavesden Aerodrome, Watford was originally owned by the Ministry of Defense and used during World War-2 for manufacture of Mosquito and the Halifax aircraft. For a number of years, Rolls-Royce Company used the site for the manufacture of helicopter engines until the site closed in June 1993. The former Rolls-Royce Company factory at Watford is now known as the Leavesden Film Studios and has produced world-famous films such as the James Bond, the Star Wars and the Harry Potter.
The Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Company Website: www.rolls-roycemotorcars.com
The Rolls-Royce Motor Cars Company Logo: